Sign In Register

How can we help you today?

Start a new topic
Answered

When is the Facebook data synchronized ?

Hello,

I was wondering, when is the Facebook data (display name, friends, etc) synchronized ? Is it when you call the FacebookConnectionRequest, or is it done regularly behind the scenes ?

I'm asking because sometimes our user could have his Facebook SDK logged off but be logged onto his GameSparks account. In this case, I'm wondering if I should prompt him to log into Facebook nonetheless (to fetch the latest data from his FB account) or if I should just hide the FB login button (in the case the synchronization would be done automatically regularly by GameSparks).

Thanks.

Best Answer

Hey Uncanny Mountains,

Could you describe for me the use case for your login flow? Does a user Auth with Facebook or userName pass? How does a new user approach registering and authenticating for the first time? After a user is registered, do they use the same log in flow?

Usually once a player is logged in with Facebook it is better to only allow a FB connect from then on as it negates having to make the player authorize each time they play the game. You are correct in assuming that the players data is only synced when the facebookConnectRequest is called, so for up to date Facebook player information you would be right to prompt the player to log in through Facebook, so if "Player One" changes their profile picture they will need to facebookConnectRequest for it to update, "Player Two" wont see these changes until "Player One" re-facebookConnectRequests but "Player Two" will also need to re-facebookConnectRequest to update these details about his friends new picture. Does this make sense?

Regards,

Ronan

1 Comment

Answer

Hey Uncanny Mountains,

Could you describe for me the use case for your login flow? Does a user Auth with Facebook or userName pass? How does a new user approach registering and authenticating for the first time? After a user is registered, do they use the same log in flow?

Usually once a player is logged in with Facebook it is better to only allow a FB connect from then on as it negates having to make the player authorize each time they play the game. You are correct in assuming that the players data is only synced when the facebookConnectRequest is called, so for up to date Facebook player information you would be right to prompt the player to log in through Facebook, so if "Player One" changes their profile picture they will need to facebookConnectRequest for it to update, "Player Two" wont see these changes until "Player One" re-facebookConnectRequests but "Player Two" will also need to re-facebookConnectRequest to update these details about his friends new picture. Does this make sense?

Regards,

Ronan

Login to post a comment