Sign In Register

How can we help you today?

Start a new topic
Answered

When is GameSparks shutting down?

Hello,

I recently spoke to the team at an event and was considering moving to gamesparks. I used to be a Parse customer for my Apps and have branched into games of late. 

I just found this article stating that GameSparks is being acquired by Amazon (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/07/08/payday-founders-amazon-snaps-video-game-firm/) 

This is just like the Parse situation being acquired by facebook and then being shutdown/forced to migrate after. What guarantees do we have in the Terms of Service and/or contracts that this service will not disappear from us like Parse did? Is there a minimum guarantee you will be around as your current service, or will we have to move to AWS and use their services? 

Thank you for your time.

Best Answer

Hi Guys,

GameSparks is very much here to stay. Its business as usual, so look out for new features in the coming months.

Regards,

Liam

Wow, now I'm sharing your concern :|

Well GS already use AWS, I heard they were looking at Gamelift integration I hope this means just more cool features and not like what happened with parse :(

Yes please, answer this as this is the top most concern of anyone developing on GameSparks.

I would also like to know if something is happening, I don't want to waste time learning the API and system to end up going over to another backend service.

Hi all,

We do not comment on rumor or speculation. It's business as usual for GameSparks and our customers though. We're hard at work on supporting developers, helping them continue to scale and grow, so please don't be concerned.

Thank you

Clare

How is this rumour or speculation? It's in the Telegraph and now picked up by PocketGamer as well.  

it's either true, or it's not at this point. Might as well get ahead of the story.  This doesn't exactly inspire confidence considering the lack of transparency. 

1 person likes this

same here waiting fo r a clear answer about what is going to change, all projects on hold

Just found on Reddit a response from GS to the one of the premium developers, here it is :

We don't comment on rumour or speculation. It’s business as usual for GameSparks and our customers though. We’re hard at work on supporting developers, helping them continue to scale and grow, so please don't be concerned.

Lets say it is suspiciously evasive answer i would say :) Hope GameSparks is fine and will be with us for many years to come!

Jan Halamicek that response was posted here, it is 2 posts above yours :)

I also hope GS is here to stay, support can be improved tho.

Hjupter Cerrud - Ops, didn't notice it. Sorry for the spam :)

Any further update on this topic??

Bump!!! Anyone know the future of GameSparks? What's the roadmap AWS has in mind with it?

This is disappointing to hear absolutely nothing 3 weeks later...  I'd be worried about the future of GS at this point. Clearly they have something to hide...  

I saw this article today in gamesbeat and figure I should share it: https://venturebeat.com/2017/08/01/heroic-labs-launches-nakama-open-source-backend-game-servers/

seems like a safer option to me. if AWS buys them, we still keep our technology. 

What makes you think GS is shutting down? Because Facebook shut down Parse?

Apples to Oranges. AWS is already a player in the Cloud Computing space, but they completely lack any BaaS offerings. It doesn't take Bezos to see that they are trying to break into this space. GameSparks works perfectly in alignment with what they are trying to do - expand in the Games space as they did with Lumberyard, GameLift, and Twitch. This is just the next step for them and I can't imagine them shutting it down any time soon.

In fact, this can turn out to be a really good thing since now they've cut out the middleman. This potentially means better support and cheaper prices for GameSparks users.

Just my 2c. I have nothing vested in GS and am just now reviewing it as a potential candidate for usage in my game. The news of AWS buying them does not scare me.

Drew

1 person likes this
Answer

Hi Guys,

GameSparks is very much here to stay. Its business as usual, so look out for new features in the coming months.

Regards,

Liam

4 people like this