Sign In Register

How can we help you today?

Start a new topic

Steam Authentication Timeouts

There is something I've been noticing as I've been working to integrate GameSpark with our game while also working with Steam. Sometimes, when trying to perform a Steam authentication request, I'll get a error back from GameSpark's servers saying that the Steam request timed-out.  

Is there anything I can do to minimize these timeouts? Or are they just a fact of life when it comes with trying to use Steam as a means authentication? 

1 person has this question

Hi Jesse,

This would be a Steam related issue. If we don't get a response from them the request will time out after a period. How often is this happening ?

Regards,

Liam

It is happening fairly frequently. Though I don't have any hard numbers to back it up, I'd say about 50% of our login attempts using Steam are resulting in the timeout error. To give a little more context, in the function where we perform our GameSpark authentication we do the following:

1) We request an AuthSessionTicket from Steamworks.
2) We convert the AuthSessionTicket into a hex string
3)  We wait 1 second. It may seem arbitrary, but since we don't know what Steams AuthSessionTicket function involves, I wanted to wait to give it time to populate anything.
4) We then make the SteamConnectRequest

Hey we're getting the same thing!

Steam API is a bit wonky. They actually have a hidden 350ms anti-spam timeout.

GameSparks will currently sit for the full 30 seconds waiting for the POST to respond, then timeout the entire script.

Login to post a comment