Sign In Register

How can we help you today?

Start a new topic
Answered

newPlayer="true" after updating our app (iOS)

Hi all,

We are using fabric beta to test our builds. When we download an update to our iOS game, after the update the 1st call to DeviceAuthenticationRequest will return "newPlayer":true in the response, and the user will start the game over.

The userID stays the same however, so something is being remembered. (ie. pretty sure it's not a fresh install that wipes all user data from client).

I'd like for the user not to reset on an update.

Best Answer

Hi Michael,

DeviceAuthenticated accounts should only be used for temporary purposes before a player links an account socially or adds a userName/password with a ChangeUserDetailsRequest. Device Ids can change which will lead to new players being created. It's not a good idea to use DeviceAuthentications on mobile devices for extended periods of times. 

Regards,

Liam

Hi Michael,

Which SDK are you currently using in your game. Are you solely relying on DeviceAuthentications as the method of authenticating your players ? 

Regards,

Liam

Hi Liam,

We are using unity sdk 5.5.1.198. 

Yes, as of right now we are only using device authentication. We are planning to use facebook authentication soon.

SystemInfo.deviceUniqueIdentifier is returning a different value and gets sent up during authentication. According to unity3d docs, this should be:

• "on pre-iOS7 devices it will return hash of MAC address. On iOS7 devices it will be UIDevice identifierForVendor or, if that fails for any reason, ASIdentifierManager advertisingIdentifier."
My current suspicion is identifierForVendor is changing between app upgrades, when upgrading on fabric beta. I've asked them about it and will get back to this thread when I do.

Answer

Hi Michael,

DeviceAuthenticated accounts should only be used for temporary purposes before a player links an account socially or adds a userName/password with a ChangeUserDetailsRequest. Device Ids can change which will lead to new players being created. It's not a good idea to use DeviceAuthentications on mobile devices for extended periods of times. 

Regards,

Liam

Ok, thank you Liam. I think I know what is happening and why as detailed above and in your answer. I'll add that you can save a guid to the users keychain for this purpose (keeping data between uninstalls), although the jury is out whether this is a good idea or not.

Login to post a comment