Sign In Register

How can we help you today?

Start a new topic
Answered

Using Gamesparks as a master server for NAT Punchthrough with UE4.

I have a multiplayer game in UE4 in which I want to let people connect to each other without having to forward ports. I need a master server and NAT punchthrough for this. The Steam online subsystem in UE4 offers these things but of course your game must be greenlit to get access to the SDK. Can Gamesparks offer a similar functionality? 

I am not interested in using a Gamesparks service like Realtime Services as I am satisfied with UE4's built in network functionality (for the most part). I only want to use Gamesparks as a master server to perform NAT punchthrough and make the initial connection between players at which the standard UE4 server model would take over.

I found this post on the forums but it did not answer my question. https://support.gamesparks.net/support/discussions/topics/1000073396

Best Answer
Hey Liam,

You wouldnt have to worry about NAT punchthrough as far as i know. Since GameSparks established a websocket connection to each player, if you want to communicate between player using GameSparks, the connection is already there so no need to worry. This also applies to our RT service, as there is an RT server connecting each player in the session.

Sean

Hi Liam,

I'm afraid we don't support nat punchthrough. You would be able to use GameSparks to match your players and pass any relevant data between them and then on to the client side in Unreal. If you have any other questions just let us know.

Thanks,

Liam 

Hey Liam, you do not need to be GreenLit to use the Steam SDK. You can use the app id 480 (SpaceWar) and test/use almost all steam subsystem functionality. This includes finding and joining sessions.

Answer
Hey Liam,

You wouldnt have to worry about NAT punchthrough as far as i know. Since GameSparks established a websocket connection to each player, if you want to communicate between player using GameSparks, the connection is already there so no need to worry. This also applies to our RT service, as there is an RT server connecting each player in the session.

Sean

Login to post a comment