Sign In Register

How can we help you today?

Start a new topic
Answered

Challenges/Matches Poker

I'm working on integrating GameSparks multiplayer capability into a poker game I'm making. I've gone through the documentation and I seem to be sensing that:

1. It sounds like RealTime isn't necessary for me, just the use of matches/challenges.
  2. A match is just used for match-making
  3. A challenge is the game (probably a single "hand" of poker in my game), and running multiple hands after one another can work based on using a match from which players can join/leave at their leisure between hands.

I guess I really want to make sure my assumptions aren't insane. I like a lot of the documentation here, but the challenge/match part was a bit confusing.

Best Answer

Hi Jeff, 

It sounds like you are correct in what you saying. The usual flow would be Matching players into challenges, unless you can readily access the playerId of the players you wish to play against. Players that are your friends for example. 

You can see a more in depth look at the this flow here

I must admit I am not overly familiar with poker. So depending on your definition of a "hand" the implementation could vary slightly. 

If by "hand" you mean a turn by a player, this would be a turn within the challenge, defined by an event that consumes that players turn as well as implementing the desired behavior in its cloud code.  

If you mean a rotation of the players(sorry I'm not very familiar with poker), then a player could opt to remove themselves from that challenge. This could be done using SparkChallenge.removePlayer(); 

If the challenge is made public, you could allow players to search it and drop in for a hand so long as the player cap for that challenge is not reached. 

Does that make sense? 

Best Regards, Patrick. 

Answer

Hi Jeff, 

It sounds like you are correct in what you saying. The usual flow would be Matching players into challenges, unless you can readily access the playerId of the players you wish to play against. Players that are your friends for example. 

You can see a more in depth look at the this flow here

I must admit I am not overly familiar with poker. So depending on your definition of a "hand" the implementation could vary slightly. 

If by "hand" you mean a turn by a player, this would be a turn within the challenge, defined by an event that consumes that players turn as well as implementing the desired behavior in its cloud code.  

If you mean a rotation of the players(sorry I'm not very familiar with poker), then a player could opt to remove themselves from that challenge. This could be done using SparkChallenge.removePlayer(); 

If the challenge is made public, you could allow players to search it and drop in for a hand so long as the player cap for that challenge is not reached. 

Does that make sense? 

Best Regards, Patrick. 

Yeah, a "hand" in poker is one complete round. At the start of the hand, cards are dealt to the players, then at the very end of the hand you see who won and the cards are shuffled back together in preparation for the next hand. 

I think I agree, the way you explained everything makes it sound like i'm on the right path.

Thanks, Patrick!

Happy to help Jeff, 

Let us know if you need any further assistance. 

Best Regards, Patrick. 

Login to post a comment