Sign In Register

How can we help you today?

Start a new topic
Answered

Question regarding region setting

Hi,

I'm at the point where I'm ready to release my first game using the GameSparks service and the only thing I’m currently unsure about is which selection I should make for the region.

This game is likely to be downloaded in multiple regions, so if I choose ‘I don’t know’ for the primary region, does this mean it will automatically choose the server with the best ping each time the game is run?

If that’s not the case, can you offer some advice on how to handle a game that will be played in multiple regions. I had a quick Google and it seems that different snapshots may be involved, but it wasn’t obvious to me how I could make this work so that when the game is downloaded in a particular region it uses the correct settings, or does that happen automatically if there are multiple snapshots with different region settings?

Best Answer

Hi Martin,

No problem. If you need to you can create a new game, set the region accordingly, copy a snapshot in from the other game and then publish. At this point you could delete the original game if it is not in the right region for you. As for publishing multiple versions you don't have to do this if you don't want to. Some users do this, some users don't. It varies from game to game. I just thought it was worth mentioning here. From what you are saying it sounds like you should be setting "Americas" as your primary region.

Thanks,

Liam

Hi again,

I'm sorry if I explained my question in a way that didn't make sense or if I'm even concerned about something I don't need to be.

Nonetheless I'm currently at the position where when I click the publish snapshot button I'm being asked a question, regarding the region, that I don't know how to best answer and am unable to find any definite information about elsewhere.

I know my game will be played in at least the UK, Europe and USA, so how do I ensure that my users will get the best experience from the GameSparks platform when they play my game, regardless of which region they are in?

I'd really appreciate some kind of guidance on this, as it is currently the only thing preventing release of the game.

Many thanks.

Really? No answer to this after 12 hours!

Is the question so banal or badly posed that it doesn't even warrant a response?

Short of some kind of feedback here or documentation elsewhere it looks like I'm going to have to go with the 'I don't know' option and just hope that it automatically chooses the right region.

Have to say I'm a little disappointed with the lack of any kind of answer.

Hi Martin,

Apologies for the delayed response. Logging a ticket may have been more appropriate here. As for your question. If you choose "I don't know" I believe it will default to the closest live cluster at the time of publishing. It's best to make sure you have the correct region picked before you publish. As your game is in the UK, Europe and US you would probably be better off publishing to the EU cluster to cover the UK and Europe. Obviously if you do this players from the US will have to send data over longer distances which could make requests more prone to timeouts. It would be the same for EU players if you published in the US. It's not uncommon for users to publish their games in multiple regions to give each user base the best experience possible. If you have any further questions just let us know.

Regards,

Liam

Thanks for getting back to me.

I usually get the majority of installs in the US, so I guess the US region would suit it best.

However I have already published the snapshot as 'I don't know' (I haven't made the game live on Google Play yet though).

But, if I understand you correctly though I should publish multiple version of the game to The Play Store and restrict their distribution to each region and have each one of them linked to a different GameSparks game version with the relevant region setting.

Is this right? It seems somewhat unwieldy to me.

Answer

Hi Martin,

No problem. If you need to you can create a new game, set the region accordingly, copy a snapshot in from the other game and then publish. At this point you could delete the original game if it is not in the right region for you. As for publishing multiple versions you don't have to do this if you don't want to. Some users do this, some users don't. It varies from game to game. I just thought it was worth mentioning here. From what you are saying it sounds like you should be setting "Americas" as your primary region.

Thanks,

Liam

Hi Liam,

I've created the new games as you described. I've also tested the performance using the US server, which whilst it was okay 95% of the time, it did exhibit some unwanted behaviour from time to time.

So I've decided to release two versions on the Play store, one restricted to The Americas and one to EU.

Is there any major technical reason why the platform can't be given an option to check the ping from each region and then auto select the best one and remember that for subsequent launches of the game, in much the same way that Photon PUN does? Is it worth making a feature request for this?

Hi again,

it occurred to me that I can create multiple settings.assets with api keys and secrets relating to the different region game versions then my program could ping each of the GameSparks servers the first time runs, and the load the asset that matches the lowest ping. It would then remember that setting for subsequent program launches.

Obviously for this to work I would need URLs for the different region servers and know that they wouldn't change over time.

Does this sound feasible and can you supply the server URL information I'd require?

Nevermind, I've decided to go with a combination of a region selector which is shown when the game is first run (which loads the relevant settings asset); along with using Unity's input.location funtion to make a best guess at the suggested region in the selector dialog.

This should enable me to publish one version of the game that will run smoothly in all regions.

I would need an anser to martins last question too

Hi Gernot,

in case it helps, the way I implemented it was as outlined in my last post, whereby I have separate settings assets for each region and then I show a region selector to allow the user to select the best region for them.

if GPS is enabled and available on the device I use it to detect and preselect the best region for the user based on the country code it.

So far it seems to be working okay and short of being given any suggestions of a better approach that's how I'm going to handle it going forward. :)

Login to post a comment