Sign In Register

How can we help you today?

Start a new topic

Unity Hang up on Recompile

I've been having this problem since months and only happens when I have GameSparks sdk imported in a project, whenever I change a script and Unity starts recompiling while I'm playing the Unity freezes, I noticed that if I stop playing before few seconds nothing happens but if I wait too long then Unity freezes so I have close it an open it again.

6 people have this problem

Hi Yaser,

No problem! I've been running smoothly since I put that script in. Seems to be working just fine thankfully.

I would agree about the key factor. Without the wait, Unity becomes unresponsive. I would have to kill Unity 9 times out of 10.

Thank you for verifying that what you did is similar and works out as well.

1 person likes this

Yeah, the same goes for me, without the wait, some times I will need to kill the unity process.

Good luck with your game!

1 person likes this

Good to hear! Thanks. You too!

Happens still in 5.6.3 -- I saw some tricks above about to try. Windows 10. Happens every other play test in editor. It's definitely a hair-ripper: I finally found this thread and realized it's GS. I am going to be so joyous if 1 of those 2 workarounds on page 2 works!

1 person likes this
Hi Dylan, I'm confident that the code I shared bypasses the issue. Please let me know if you see otherwise! Thanks, Chris

I'm still freezing :(

"I've been having this problem since months and only happens when I have GameSparks sdk imported in a project, whenever I change a script and Unity starts recompiling while I'm playing the Unity freezes, I noticed that if I stop playing before few seconds nothing happens but if I wait too long then Unity freezes so I have close it an open it again."

This guy pretty much defined my issue word-for-word. I've had to restart Unity at least 20 times per day. I tried your fix, and although I see slightly less freezes, it's still very significant. Any scene that does not initialize with GameSparks does not freeze Unity.

(Unity 5.6.3)

Hi Dylan,

Did you have any other plugins installed here ? Does it happen with a fresh Unity project with just the GS SDK installed ?

Regards,

Liam

I haven't tried with a fresh Unity project yet (I'll have time to try it in a couple weeks). However, here is what's left in the logs upon restarting from frozen, which is most likely a good indicator:

Hi All,

For anyone still having issues you can get the new SDK from here. Please try it and let me know if you are seeing the same behavior.

Regards,

Liam

Still encountering this issue (GS 5.5.7.139 and Unity 2017.2.0f3) on a empty project with only GS SDK installed...

I would welcome fixing this very much, thank you!

Looks like this just got worst :(... I wasnt complaining about this before since I was using a script that stop unity when its recompiling but now unity is freezing when is stopped and after few secs of recompile

I've noticed that staying in "play mode" is often useless after recompiling, so I'm OK with exiting it when scripts recompile. To enforce it, I put this script in "Assets/Editor" folder:
https://github.com/CapeGuyGames/Blog-Samples/blob/master/BlogSamples_UnityProj/Assets/CapeGuy/Editor/ExitPlayModeOnScriptCompile.cs
Source - https://capeguy.co.uk/2015/06/no-more-unity-hot-reload/
Those who use Console Enhanced (ConsoleE) can configure it to do similar thing (I actually found that script via ConsoleE blog).
Haven't had any freezing problems since I started using that script.

Still freezing on GS 5.5.7.137 -- I am starting to go a little crazy over this. I just noticed Andrejs potential fix -- I'm going to check it out.

Actually, I wasn't on .139 -- I found a separate bug I'll post elsewhere (says up to date, but actually updated). I have some testing to do before Andrejs' script. 

Login to post a comment