Sign In Register

How can we help you today?

Start a new topic

Option to use a relational database

Long story short, GameSparks looks wonderful but I want to represent a lot of highly relational data in my game and I'm finding doing so through the existing NoSQL Metadata view to be immensely cumbersome.

I know that you can't just slap on a relational database option.  It's a core, foundational change that can't be implemented quickly but I would love to see the ability to use a relational database.

1 person likes this idea

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your input. As you say it would be a huge change to the core of the platform. May I ask what it is you are finding cumbersome at the moment exactly ? We are more than happy to help make your use of GameSparks as easy as possible.

Regards,

Liam

I'm finding the manual insertion of data into the Database to be pretty cumbersome tbh.  Additionally seeing the data as just a blob of JSON after the fact makes doing things like, conceptually, adding a new "column" very difficult.  I know it does not have columns, but I'm coming from relational land.

Long story short, I'm trying to create a loot system similar to Diablo.

So imagine you'd have a rare sword: but that sword is dropped at a certain level, and it can have a number of properties such as elemental damage, or a plethora of buffs / stat boosts, or unique abilities, etc.  i can go into more detail if you like.  I've written sample code to generate them locally (ie, without using gamesparks) and it works, but I cannot trust the client to generate these.  I need to generate them on the server, have the server act as the authority, and award them to players.

These items need to cross references a ton of different tables and forumulas and that's just way easier to do in a realtional database.

Further, I'm finding the virtual goods system in Game Sparks to inadequate for my needs as well.  I need items to be generated randomly, they are not fixed and static currencies.

Login to post a comment