Sign In Register

How can we help you today?

Start a new topic
Answered

Unity - Settings File?

Hi - hoping someone can help me out. I'm trying to get GameSparks up and running in Unity but I'm finding the doco a bit confusing.

I'm following this page:

https://docs.gamesparks.com/getting-started/using-authentication/unity-authentication.html

But just noticed I'd missed the line saying:

"You can see that the GameSparksUnity script expects a settings file. This file was automatically generated when you ran the Test-Scene in the previous tutorial. You can find the settings file in the GameSparks > Resources folder. Apply them to the Settings in the GameSparksUnity script."

Thing is, I'm not following a series of tutorials as far as I know, so there's no previous one with a Test-Scene? This is the first page of the Using Authentication --> Unity Authentication documentation.

Anyway, is this settings file documented somewhere? How do you create one if you weren't following whatever that other tutorial was?

Best Answer

Hi Steve,

I believe this is the tutorial you skipped over. It's the first part of our Getting Started Guide. If you go through that you should have everything you need. The GameSparks settings file should be inside the Resources folder in the GameSparks folder.

You can then drop the settings file onto the GameObject that has the "GameSparksUnity script" attached to it.

Try that and let me know how you get on.

Thanks,

Liam

Answer

Hi Steve,

I believe this is the tutorial you skipped over. It's the first part of our Getting Started Guide. If you go through that you should have everything you need. The GameSparks settings file should be inside the Resources folder in the GameSparks folder.

You can then drop the settings file onto the GameObject that has the "GameSparksUnity script" attached to it.

Try that and let me know how you get on.

Thanks,

Liam

Thanks for that. Yes, I was linked to the "Unity Authentication" page from elsewhere so that kind of became my entry point. I should have looked around a little better.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there doesn't appear to be any video tutorials for the platform? I find it odd that a company would spend (clearly) a LOT of time developing a platform such as this, and not get someone to sit down for a couple of days and record maybe 5 or 6 half hour videos that do through all the introductions. I've spent about 8 hours so far jumping back and forth in the written documentation to figure out how everything hangs together, which is now bordering on the amount of time it would have taken me to just throw together some basic PHP/MySQL for my (admittedly) simple requirements. I feel like GameSparks is a bigger learning experience than the provided documentation facilitates - at least, in a short/acceptable period of time.

Remember, a picture says a thousands words. Imagine how many words a few 30 minute videos would cover off.

Just my two cents worth.

Hi Steve,

Yes you're right, currently we don't have any video tutorials on the site. Our last set of video tutorials became outdated as the platformed evolved. We felt it was best to remove them and start again fresh so new users wouldn't get confused. New video tutorials are in the pipeline and we do hope to get ones out that cover the basics for new users. For now if you run into any issues just let the support team know by creating a ticket or forum post and we'll point you in the right direction. We appreciate your feedback here.

Thanks,

Liam

Login to post a comment