Sign In Register

How can we help you today?

Start a new topic
Answered

General Help with Custom Levels

Hello all!

So I want my game to allow players to create and upload custom levels. They need to be able to search and browse for these files/levels made by other players. Added feature would be to make it able to rate the played levels (Possibility?).

So my question is, what would be the best procedure to allow this on GameSparks? The levels will be in XML/JSON format, and I want to allow them to provide search tags for the level...for better/easier querying.

Not asking for a complete full code example, of course..Just general guidance and how to do this.

-Thanks

Best Answer

Hi Spencer, 

JSON would be perfect and make it quite straight forward to implement this. You could create a RunTime Collection of player created levels. You could create an event with attributes necessary to create a level for instance, check these values to ensure they are not null or undefined and allow a player to submit values based on input from the client. I would advice multiple checks to try and rule out unplayable levels being uploaded. 

Rating these levels could be done through another event. With low rated levels potentially being removed or blocked from being read from the collection. 

In summary this can be done through events, cloud code and the client. However monitoring this content, and the quality of the levels etc. will require your own logic written in cloud code and could prove a challenge. All very doable though. 

Does this make sense? 

Best Regards, Patrick.

Answer

Hi Spencer, 

JSON would be perfect and make it quite straight forward to implement this. You could create a RunTime Collection of player created levels. You could create an event with attributes necessary to create a level for instance, check these values to ensure they are not null or undefined and allow a player to submit values based on input from the client. I would advice multiple checks to try and rule out unplayable levels being uploaded. 

Rating these levels could be done through another event. With low rated levels potentially being removed or blocked from being read from the collection. 

In summary this can be done through events, cloud code and the client. However monitoring this content, and the quality of the levels etc. will require your own logic written in cloud code and could prove a challenge. All very doable though. 

Does this make sense? 

Best Regards, Patrick.

So if I'm understanding correctly for the level uploading:

I should make a "Level Upload" event, that contains several attributes (JSON level format, rating, uploader, tags, etc)...and using cloud code on said event, it also adds all the info to the runtime collection of player levels. Should I be adding the complete level upload event info to the collection? Or something more simple like just a unique level ID, that I can then use to pull all the level info from...

Thanks for the help!

Login to post a comment