Sign In Register

How can we help you today?

Start a new topic
Answered

GameSparks and FireBase Cloud Messaging (FCM) on Android

Hi, 

Google has deprecated Google Cloud Messaging (GCM) in favor of Firebase Cloud Messaging (FCM). I'm now at a point where I either build GCM support or FCM support into our game in order to enable push notifications. 

• Am I correct that GameSparks currently only supports GCM? GameSparks asks for a GCM API key in order to enable push notifications.
  • If so, is there anything planned for adding or switching to FCM in the near future?

Thanks!

Best Answer

Hi Guys,

We have tested Firebase with GameSparks and it works. There are some new steps involved with Firebase that are not in are documentation yet. We hope to get these steps into the documentation soon. For now you can follow along here.

1.Crate a new project on Google Developers Console

2. Go to the Fire Base Console and import google project and select the project you made in the google developers console,

3.Go back to the google developers console and go to credentials google will have auto created a server key 

4.Go back to the gamesparks portal , go to integrations ->google-> edit put the server key into GCM API Key

That should be all you need. Try that and let me know how you get on. If you need any further assistance just let us know.

Thanks,

Liam

1 person has this question

Hi Ivo,

I will look into our plans for this and get back to you.

Thanks,

Oisin

Any update on this subject?

hello. we are in the same boat. is there any update on this?

Hi, We are facing same problem. If any update please share ASAP.

Hi Guys,

This is something we are aware of and it's currently in our backlog, we don't have a release date for it at the moment I'm afraid. You can keep an eye on our announcements page here for any updates relating to this.

Thanks,

Liam

hello, is there any update on FCM support please?

Bump.  I need this too.

Answer

Hi Guys,

We have tested Firebase with GameSparks and it works. There are some new steps involved with Firebase that are not in are documentation yet. We hope to get these steps into the documentation soon. For now you can follow along here.

1.Crate a new project on Google Developers Console

2. Go to the Fire Base Console and import google project and select the project you made in the google developers console,

3.Go back to the google developers console and go to credentials google will have auto created a server key 

4.Go back to the gamesparks portal , go to integrations ->google-> edit put the server key into GCM API Key

That should be all you need. Try that and let me know how you get on. If you need any further assistance just let us know.

Thanks,

Liam

I got it working as GCM events following the steps.   You just need to make sure you add Firebase to your Google Play project.  The server key it gives you works as GCM.  Thank goodness it is backwards compatible.

1 person likes this

Awesome, that's great news!

Great to hear! We're now also successfully using FCM using GameSparks.

I've integrated FCM with my project, but push-up notifications don't seem to form properly from GameSparks -- they never pop up on my device actually.

If I check FCM Diagnostics in Google Play Dev Console (picture attached), I see that messages, sent from GS, were successfully delivered. But the application name is not filled (perhaps that's reason why I did not see them popping up). Also, message expiration date has its maximum value, though I've set 1 hour on GameSparks side.

Any suggestions, please?

FCM.png
(4.75 KB)

As the follow-up to my previous comment, I forgot to mention that the upper string in the attached picture show message sent from GS, and the lower -- sent simply from Firebase console (the later one was delivered and popped up on my device successfully). The last column is "Expire hours".

Hi guys !

Is there any ways to get it work on iOS ? We tried to send push notifications on Android via GameSparks (FCM) and it worked great, but it fails on iOS devices...

1 person likes this
Login to post a comment