Sign In Register

How can we help you today?

Start a new topic
Answered

How to get / parse list of dictionaries from CloudCode using Unity/C#

Hello,

I am practicing getting stuff from my collection in GS using CloudCode so that I can use parts of it in my Unity/C# code.

My CloudCode event  getWhiteCards is working fine and here it is... I am getting my collection, pulling out a document and adding it to a list. I want that list in my response so I do this like so:

//create an empty list

var whiteCardsList = [];

var count = 0;

//get a random whitecard from the whitecards collection

var whiteCards = Spark.runtimeCollection("whiteCards");

var whiteCardslength = whiteCards.count() - 1;

//pull out a random card and add it to a list

while (count <= 6)

{

var randNumWhite = Math.floor(Math.random() * (whiteCardslength - 0 + 1));

//now we have a random card

var onewhiteCard = whiteCards.find().limit(-1).skip(randNumWhite).next();

//push this card into our list

whiteCardsList.push(onewhiteCard);

count ++;

}

//---------I want to get the whole enchilada, in case I want to use the IDs of the items in the arrays later...

Spark.setScriptData("myNewList", whiteCardsList);

This is the part I need help with... I call my event like this:

public void getWhiteCards()

{

new GameSparks.Api.Requests.LogEventRequest().SetEventKey("getWhiteCards")

.Send((response) => {

if(!response.HasErrors)

{

// GSData myList = response.ScriptData.GetGSDataList("myNewList"); // This didn't work - got errors :(

string example = response.ScriptData.GetString("myNewList"); // This has worked for a simple dict and I have no errors so I used it...

Debug.Log("I am in the getWhiteCards function " + example);

}

else

{

Debug.Log("There are errors " + response.Errors);

} 

});   

}

My Unity console shows that I am getting what I want...but how do I get this object so I can iterate over the list and get the text out, and fun stuff like that? Here's what is in my console when I run it....

My big document with "myNewList" of dicts that I want to play with in my Unity/C# shows up fine :

GS: RECV:{"@class":".LogEventResponse","requestId":"635961666544215180_3","scriptData":{"myNewList":[{"_id":{ "$oid" : "570555f4f3939205e33b367f"},"text":"A balanced breakfast"},{"_id":{ "$oid" : "570556e947e69305e3b7ab5f"},"text":"The Donald Trump seal of approval"},{"_id":{ "$oid" : "570557e247e69305e3b7adc0"},"text":"Waterboarding"},{"_id":{ "$oid" : "57055734f3939205e33b3b95"},"text":"The Terrorists"},{"_id":{ "$oid" : "5705581b47e69305e3b7adc4"},"text":"The Force"},{"_id":{ "$oid" : "5705581b47e69305e3b7adc4"},"text":"The Force"},{"_id":{ "$oid" : "5705585b47e69305e3b7ae90"},"text":"Famine"}]}}

My debug.log :

UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)

other stuff:

GameSparks.Platforms.<DebugMsg>c__AnonStorey5:<>m__7() (at Assets/GameSparks/Platforms/PlatformBase.cs:144)

GameSparks.Platforms.PlatformBase:Update() (at Assets/GameSparks/Platforms/PlatformBase.cs:67)

Any thoughts or docs you can point me to would be appreciated!

Best Answer

Well I'm not sure where in the docs that info it. Frankly the gamesparks docs are so typically outdated and spread apart I avoid them (I wish it wasn't so).

But if you can't tell by the method name what the return value type will be (even though it's in the name), most IDE's will show any docs when you hover over the methods. So if you're using monodevelop + Unity, hover over the GetGSDataList() call and it should say something like "public List<GSData> GetGSDataList()."

So that's how I knew the correct return type. Where you were trying to store it as a GSData object, it actually returns a list of GSData objects. Hopefully that makes sense.

Hi again,

Should be:  

List<GSData> myList = response.ScriptData.GetGSDataList("myNewList"); 

Thanks Ryan, I will give this a try...where can I find this type of info in the docs? I searched GSData and I get very little.

Answer

Well I'm not sure where in the docs that info it. Frankly the gamesparks docs are so typically outdated and spread apart I avoid them (I wish it wasn't so).

But if you can't tell by the method name what the return value type will be (even though it's in the name), most IDE's will show any docs when you hover over the methods. So if you're using monodevelop + Unity, hover over the GetGSDataList() call and it should say something like "public List<GSData> GetGSDataList()."

So that's how I knew the correct return type. Where you were trying to store it as a GSData object, it actually returns a list of GSData objects. Hopefully that makes sense.

It does, I will try to use that as my guide. 

Thanks again for taking the time to help me. 

I read somewhere that GS was updating their docs and tutorials, lets hope this happens soon.

Login to post a comment