Sign In Register

How can we help you today?

Start a new topic
Answered

Questions about publishing

I have some questions regarding publishing of GameSparks configurations that I hope you guys can help me with. At the moment we are still in development, but will be going live in not too long. From the information I've read about Snapshots in the GameSparks documentation, it seems that only snapshots marked as 'published' will be in effect on the users' side, is that correct? At the stage we're at now, every change we make in the GameSparks configuration is immediately reflected in our game. This is very nice when doing development, but in the future we'd want to be able to make and test changes in the configuration, without these changes going live immediately. Is that what the 'Publish' button is for?

We're working for a client who, after launch of the game, will want to create and test new configurations of the game. Is there any way they can do that just with what GameSparks offer with snapshots and the like? My idea would be to give our client a copy build of the game, which references another GameSparks configuration (i.e. another game), which they can then play around with and when they are sure that configuration works, they can copy it to the actual, live game. Is that how it's supposed to be handled? And if they copy a new snapshot to the live build, will it be active immediately for the end users or will that only happen once they press 'Publish'?

I hope my questions makes sense and that you'll be able to answer them.

Kind regards

Heino Jørgensen

Best Answer

Hi Heino,

Yes you are correct, once a snapshot is published it appears green in the Configurator Overview in the Test Harness, you can only ever have one of these at a time. When building your game from Unity you need to make sure that the build is pointed to the live service, you can do this by un ticking "Preview Build" in the GameSparks setting window before building.

"At the stage we're at now, every change we make in the GameSparks configuration is immediately reflected in our game" - this is due to you testing your game in preview, so each change is as you say immediately applied.

"This is very nice when doing development, but in the future we'd want to be able to make and test changes in the configuration, without these changes going live immediately" - This is exactly how snapshots are designed to work. After you've published a snapshot you can continue to work in preview and test any new changes there, then when you're happy you can publish the latest configuration to live. 

"My idea would be to give our client a copy build of the game, which references another GameSparks configuration" - Our Multi Stage Publishing guide should be useful to you, you can read about it here. You could have a similar setup to this in place with a project setup for the client. You can then easily copy snapshots between stages. You'll always need to hit publish on a snapshot to apply the new changes to live. Hope this helps, if you have any more questions on this just let me know.

Thanks,

Liam

Answer

Hi Heino,

Yes you are correct, once a snapshot is published it appears green in the Configurator Overview in the Test Harness, you can only ever have one of these at a time. When building your game from Unity you need to make sure that the build is pointed to the live service, you can do this by un ticking "Preview Build" in the GameSparks setting window before building.

"At the stage we're at now, every change we make in the GameSparks configuration is immediately reflected in our game" - this is due to you testing your game in preview, so each change is as you say immediately applied.

"This is very nice when doing development, but in the future we'd want to be able to make and test changes in the configuration, without these changes going live immediately" - This is exactly how snapshots are designed to work. After you've published a snapshot you can continue to work in preview and test any new changes there, then when you're happy you can publish the latest configuration to live. 

"My idea would be to give our client a copy build of the game, which references another GameSparks configuration" - Our Multi Stage Publishing guide should be useful to you, you can read about it here. You could have a similar setup to this in place with a project setup for the client. You can then easily copy snapshots between stages. You'll always need to hit publish on a snapshot to apply the new changes to live. Hope this helps, if you have any more questions on this just let me know.

Thanks,

Liam

Thank you for your reply, Liam. The multi-stage publishing was what I had in mind when I wrote my initial post, so I guess I did understand it correctly then. Things seem to work the way I thought they would, so that's good to know. I just wanted to be sure that we (or the client) doesn't accidentally push something to the live build, which wasn't supposed to go there. Thank you again for the clarification.

Hi Heino,

No problem at all, it's always best to double check if you're feeling unsure.

Thanks,

Liam

Login to post a comment