Sign In Register

How can we help you today?

Start a new topic
Answered

must leaderboard update in real-time for achievement triggers that only depend on running totals?

lets see if i'm doing this correctly... in the current achievement configuration, achievements triggers are associated with what is available in a leaderboard. so for example, if i have an achievement for defeating 100 monsters, i'd create a MonsterDefeated event with a variable with default calc set to "count" (which automatically creates a running total with the count of the number of monsters defeated). and then (since i cannot trigger the achievement award with the running total alone) i'd create a leaderboard with that count running total, and with that i can create the achievement that is triggered by the count in the leaderboard.

the catch is that unless i set the leaderboard update schedule to "real-time", the achievement still would not be awarded when the 100 monsters condition is met. i'm guessing that a real-time leaderboard does sorting etc in real-time too, and that seems like a waste of resources considering that the achievements are only using the running total and the leaderboard is irrelevant, especially when there are maybe a hundred achievements and only one leaderboard that players actually see. 

is there a way to setup achievements without having to setup real-time leaderboards too?

Best Answer

Hi Hamlet,

It's true that the Achievement system is based around Leaderboards, but there is nothing to worry about in terms of performance or wasting resources.

If there is anything specific with the achievements you would like help setting up, let us know and we'll sort you out.

Thanks,

Oisin.

Answer

Hi Hamlet,

It's true that the Achievement system is based around Leaderboards, but there is nothing to worry about in terms of performance or wasting resources.

If there is anything specific with the achievements you would like help setting up, let us know and we'll sort you out.

Thanks,

Oisin.

hi oisin, thanks for your speedy reply. i'm glad to know that there is no performance concern. 

i'm running to a little problem using grouping to setting up 4 achievements based on the same event, and i'd very much appreciate your help. the event has the following parameters:

1. amount (number / sum)
  2. type (string / grouped)
the 4 achievements that i need to setup are the following:
  1. accumulated amount sum >= 100,
  2. accumulated event count >=10, 
  3. accumulated type A event count >= 10, and
  4. accumulated type B event count >= 10.
i'm able to setup 1 by using the automatically created running total from the event. and then for 2 i created a custom running total with "count" type summary on the "type" attribute. 

and then comes my trouble -- i cannot figure out how to create running totals for event counts grouped by type. I've tried setting up a new running totals similar to the one in 2 except with the "group" field to "type", but then in the leaderboard there is only one summary choice, "type", based on this running total. i don't know how to setup the leaderboard fields so that it filters/partitions correctly for the achievements to work. i've fiddle around with this for many hours only to get this far. your help would be very much appreciated. :-) 

i'm moving this to a separate post, as it doesn't relate to the original question.

Login to post a comment