Sign In Register

How can we help you today?

Start a new topic
Answered

Change Metadata by Dynamic Forms

After so much searching, I've found out that metadata collections cannot be changed by Dynamic Forms.

The problem is, we found out too late. We've built our infrastructure involving a lot of metadata collections, a lot of code already referring these. We use different game servers to develop, testing, and live. Having some values in metadata helps a lot since we can easily transfer changes between servers. 

And then, when we started to want to build CMS, we started to learn about Dynamic Forms, and turns out you cannot change the metadata values by dynamic forms. Changing all the metadata into runtime will require HUGE amount of work, that we don't have the time right now. Even if we did change them all, it will create different problems. So if I change something (with Dynamic Forms) on my develop server, then when I want to push it into test server, I need to export the collections one by one, and remove the ones on the test server, and insert them one by one again.

Seems like very impractical workflow. Is there any solutions for this, or that I'm missing something?

Thank you

Best Answer

Hi Timotius

The workflow for managing metadata is the same as managing anything else in the configurator. Make the edits in preview, test them, then publish the data to live.

When we publish a game, we also publish the metadata. If you did make updates in live, the next time a publish happened, your changes would be overwritten.

Are you aware that meta collections are writable in preview? This allows you to create dynamic forms that can edit the data before you publish it. 

There may be some other options as we can execute code when the game is published to update your runtime collections.

Let me know what you think.

Gabriel

Answer

Hi Timotius

The workflow for managing metadata is the same as managing anything else in the configurator. Make the edits in preview, test them, then publish the data to live.

When we publish a game, we also publish the metadata. If you did make updates in live, the next time a publish happened, your changes would be overwritten.

Are you aware that meta collections are writable in preview? This allows you to create dynamic forms that can edit the data before you publish it. 

There may be some other options as we can execute code when the game is published to update your runtime collections.

Let me know what you think.

Gabriel

"Are you aware that meta collections are writable in preview? This allows you to create dynamic forms that can edit the data before you publish it. "

Would this be a good place to store server version? Then to +1 it by a form >> set it live?

Hi Dylan,

Yes this would be the perfect place to store the version. When the snapshot is published with the change the version can be checked client side on login and then any necessary action can be taken based on the value returned.

Regards,

Liam

Login to post a comment