Sign In Register

How can we help you today?

Start a new topic
Answered

[Question] Using existing configurator components for game logic

Hi,

I'm a novice programmer & game designer and investigating back-end solutions for an MMO/RTS idea. As I want to start off the bat with putting the logic in the back-end, I was hoping to make use of existing logic and transform that to my needs.

I went to the documentation noticed in the description of Achievement: "...but uses extend beyond this to level completion or XP progress bonuses, basic ‘crafting’..."

Does this means it is possible to use Achievements in a non-traditional way, thus not using it to show players what they have achieved, but in a game logic way for example upgrading a skill or a building?

Let me be more specific: I'm looking for a way to have the player issue an action from a 'dumb' client (let's say upgrade a building like in CoC). Then have the back-end receive & process that request, use it's logic to set a start time & end time, and notify the client (push or pull) that the action has completed. All in a way that mitigates or reduces the risk of tempering with the request or result e.g. manipulating back-end data.

Can I use the achievement, or any other pre desgined configurator component to achieve this result?

Thank you kindly for any information on this.

Regards,

Robin

Best Answer

Hi Robin,

For items that will be built over time I’d recommend looking at our guide on Scheduling Cloud Code Scripts. You could set up a module for upgrading a building, time it with the Spark Scheduler, trigger the event in game which would start the countdown process, then when it's complete send a custom message to the player with Spark.SendMessageEXT to inform them that it's done, you could give an achievement here if you wanted.

Your Achievements can set up to be awarded by a Leaderboard (when a certain score is hit for example) or to be “Triggered By Script” (meaning the logic in game will define when this is awarded)

You could use a leaderboard to give an achievement when a user reaches a certain rank or posts a certain score, so you could have an XP Leaderboard set up that will award points to a player for performing certain actions in the game, each action giving a certain amount of XP. You would have trigger data set to the running total of that leaderboard and add fields in for when Score is = 100, Level Up, then send a message to the player informing them of this,. you could add as many fields as you’d like to this, when Score = 200 - Level Up to Level 2 and so on. A similar setup could be implemented for crafting.

Thanks,

Liam

Answer

Hi Robin,

For items that will be built over time I’d recommend looking at our guide on Scheduling Cloud Code Scripts. You could set up a module for upgrading a building, time it with the Spark Scheduler, trigger the event in game which would start the countdown process, then when it's complete send a custom message to the player with Spark.SendMessageEXT to inform them that it's done, you could give an achievement here if you wanted.

Your Achievements can set up to be awarded by a Leaderboard (when a certain score is hit for example) or to be “Triggered By Script” (meaning the logic in game will define when this is awarded)

You could use a leaderboard to give an achievement when a user reaches a certain rank or posts a certain score, so you could have an XP Leaderboard set up that will award points to a player for performing certain actions in the game, each action giving a certain amount of XP. You would have trigger data set to the running total of that leaderboard and add fields in for when Score is = 100, Level Up, then send a message to the player informing them of this,. you could add as many fields as you’d like to this, when Score = 200 - Level Up to Level 2 and so on. A similar setup could be implemented for crafting.

Thanks,

Liam

Hi Liam,

That looks great! Might be exactly what I'm looking for. Let's see if I can set that up in a test project.

Thank you kindly for the info.

Best regards,

Robin

Login to post a comment