Sign In Register

How can we help you today?

Start a new topic
Answered

Segmented leaderboards?

What exactly does it do to add segment configuration to leaderboards? I want users in a certain segment to have separate leaderboards, but segmenting the leaderboards doesn't seem to achieve this?

I can do this by creating separate leaderboards, I just wanted to know if there is a simpler way using segments.

Best Answer

Hi Baris,

Segments are quite powerful and allow you to create partitions for different users and apply various rules to different areas of the platform, a good example of this would be having a country Segment which would allow you to customise the experience for players from a certain country by having achievements, messages, custom names and descriptions in their native language. Using Segments on a leaderboard will only allow you to change the name and description for the leaderboard in that particular Segment. So if your Leaderboard had the name “High Score Leaderboard”, you could have a UK Segment configured on your Leaderboard called “UK High Score Leaderboard”, so players in that Segment will receive that custom message when they post a high score.

Partitioning your leaderboards sounds more suitable for what you’re trying to do. You can find an example on partitioning Leaderboards by country here which you should find quite helpful. If you were to partition your Leaderboards by country you could further customise them by using Segments to display a custom name and description that best suits them.

Thanks,

Liam

Answer

Hi Baris,

Segments are quite powerful and allow you to create partitions for different users and apply various rules to different areas of the platform, a good example of this would be having a country Segment which would allow you to customise the experience for players from a certain country by having achievements, messages, custom names and descriptions in their native language. Using Segments on a leaderboard will only allow you to change the name and description for the leaderboard in that particular Segment. So if your Leaderboard had the name “High Score Leaderboard”, you could have a UK Segment configured on your Leaderboard called “UK High Score Leaderboard”, so players in that Segment will receive that custom message when they post a high score.

Partitioning your leaderboards sounds more suitable for what you’re trying to do. You can find an example on partitioning Leaderboards by country here which you should find quite helpful. If you were to partition your Leaderboards by country you could further customise them by using Segments to display a custom name and description that best suits them.

Thanks,

Liam

Hi Liam,

Thanks for the explanation. We need to keep backwards compatibility, with all the previous users keeping using the same leaderboard from before, so I think partitioning won't work here, I'll just create a new leaderboard.

Could you confirm that if a player has no values for a segment, or has a value that I've not added a specific configuration for (say for a virtual good, or for the Facebook app id, or anywhere else segmented configurations are used), then the default (not attached to any segments) configuration is used? I've tested that this is the case, but I want to make sure it's correct in general.

Hi Baris,

Yes you're correct if a player isn't associated with any Segment they will use the default configuration values that have been set.

Thanks,

Liam 

Login to post a comment