Sign In Register

How can we help you today?

Start a new topic
Answered

Steam Friends

Hi there,

I'm looking to use Steam authentication for my game. I would like to be able to list a users steam friends in-game but can't seem to find how to do that.

I'd also like to be able to manually "Add friends" that are not in steam, by providing the friends username/email, without using Facebook or other social networks. But it doesn't seem that feature exists? If it were/does exists, using steam authentication doesn't seem to provide the option of providing a username/email. The generated user IDs aren't friendly enough to use.

I'm using Unreal Engine 4 if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Dann

Best Answer

Hi Dan

Sorry for the delay in response, when a Steam user Authenticates GameSparks will determine if any of the players friends are currently registered with to the game. Their friend list can be listed with a ListInviteFriendsRequest, this list players who aren't registered on the platform yet.

You can easily add players who don’t use Steam or social networks by using a simple RegistrationRequest. This will allow you to authenticate users simply with a username and password. You can set up an event that's triggered on a successful RegistrationRequest that in turn will add the users email to the newly registered players document on GameSparks. The logic for this would be added to RegistrationRequest in cloud code. You will need to have a privacy policy in place and inform all players that you are collecting their email addresses. 

Thanks,

Liam

1 Comment

Answer

Hi Dan

Sorry for the delay in response, when a Steam user Authenticates GameSparks will determine if any of the players friends are currently registered with to the game. Their friend list can be listed with a ListInviteFriendsRequest, this list players who aren't registered on the platform yet.

You can easily add players who don’t use Steam or social networks by using a simple RegistrationRequest. This will allow you to authenticate users simply with a username and password. You can set up an event that's triggered on a successful RegistrationRequest that in turn will add the users email to the newly registered players document on GameSparks. The logic for this would be added to RegistrationRequest in cloud code. You will need to have a privacy policy in place and inform all players that you are collecting their email addresses. 

Thanks,

Liam

Login to post a comment