Sign In Register

How can we help you today?

Start a new topic
Answered

Quest system

I need to create a quest system for my game. It is similar to challenges, but players do not issue quests. I want to have a list of of daily tasks the player will see on each day they log in, and then choose what the would like to perform. The tasks(quests) will be entered in the portal and include a title, description, and reward.

Should I use Challenges for this, or should i create my own custom document?

Do Challenges work with just a single player? Any other suggestions?

Best Answer

Hi Robert,

Custom collections and documents would probably be the best way to do this. You could achieve what you need by setting up a Screen in the Manage tab called “Quests” and build a form in it that would allow you to easily enter new Quests into a collection. In the form you would have fields for Quest Short Code (for referencing in game), Quest Location, Required Player Level, Quest Name and whatever else you need. You could add all this in manually via the test harness but if it's a system you plan on using quite often, having a nice form built to enter what you need into a collection will simplify things. You can read more about dynamic forms should you decide to use them here and here.

When a player accepts a quest it will go into their personal acceptedQuests collection, then when a Quests completion = True you can slot the completed ones into a completedQuests collection and give a reward/achievement to the player. When a player logs in you could check both these collections in the AuthenticationResponse in cloud code by referencing them and the playerID and manage them from there accordingly.

You could use the system GS_DAILY in cloud code to present the daily quests/tasks for a player as you see fit. By adding your own logic you could easily randomise them or only present ones that match player level and so forth.

Thanks,

Liam

1 Comment

Answer

Hi Robert,

Custom collections and documents would probably be the best way to do this. You could achieve what you need by setting up a Screen in the Manage tab called “Quests” and build a form in it that would allow you to easily enter new Quests into a collection. In the form you would have fields for Quest Short Code (for referencing in game), Quest Location, Required Player Level, Quest Name and whatever else you need. You could add all this in manually via the test harness but if it's a system you plan on using quite often, having a nice form built to enter what you need into a collection will simplify things. You can read more about dynamic forms should you decide to use them here and here.

When a player accepts a quest it will go into their personal acceptedQuests collection, then when a Quests completion = True you can slot the completed ones into a completedQuests collection and give a reward/achievement to the player. When a player logs in you could check both these collections in the AuthenticationResponse in cloud code by referencing them and the playerID and manage them from there accordingly.

You could use the system GS_DAILY in cloud code to present the daily quests/tasks for a player as you see fit. By adding your own logic you could easily randomise them or only present ones that match player level and so forth.

Thanks,

Liam

Login to post a comment