Sign In Register

How can we help you today?

Start a new topic
Answered

milestone tracking analytics

i'd like to be able to track "milestones" in our game (completed first level, unlocked an item, etc etc) and i'm wondering if i'll be able to do this with gamesparks custom events. Basically i'd send a event request for each milestone, and i'd like to see a running total of all of those requests received.

I don't mean a graph of requests on a daily or hourly basis (i'm not sure what that would tell me), but just a running total. Then i could, for example, find that 70% of all users completed the first level, 60% completed the 2nd level, etc. It would be great to do calculations like this on a dashboard - 30% of all players who completed level 7 also unlocked an item, that kind of thing.

Is this possible?

Best Answer

Hi Peter,

If you go to the Manage tab in the portal,

and click on the Admin Screens section you can access out Chart creation tool.

Select the "Click to Add" button and you will be presented with a configuration window for making charts and tables of any possible data you could want to track on the platform

Select @type for the types of events you wish to track, @groups to filter schedules or messages, and add @timestamp rules to pick any time scope you want.

It's an extremely flexible system.

You could easily set it up to give you running totals.

Thanks,

Oisin

1 person has this question

Hi Peter,

Our Analytics system can also only track running totals if you wish, a tutorial is available here.

Thanks,

Oisin.

Thanks Oisin, that looks good.

I don't see a dashboard tab when i go to analytics though - has that been removed?

It looks like the count section of the custom tab nearly does what i need, but as a graph over time rather than a single figure for all time - is there a way to get a total count?

Answer

Hi Peter,

If you go to the Manage tab in the portal,

and click on the Admin Screens section you can access out Chart creation tool.

Select the "Click to Add" button and you will be presented with a configuration window for making charts and tables of any possible data you could want to track on the platform

Select @type for the types of events you wish to track, @groups to filter schedules or messages, and add @timestamp rules to pick any time scope you want.

It's an extremely flexible system.

You could easily set it up to give you running totals.

Thanks,

Oisin

Sorry - another question on this: I've now sent a few AnalyticsRequests, but i still can't see anything in the custom tab (just "Not enough columns given to draw the requested chart.")

So i'm looking at these 2 options now (custom tab in analytics or charts in manage), but in both i can still only see options to make graphs over time rather than a total count! Am i missing something?

The chart maker has an option for pie chart but that only gives a % rather than a count.

Couple of different things in here ... bear with us ... will revert back shortly.

Ignore the point about not seeing results coming through on the custom tab - they just took a while to show up, i can see them now :)

so the only question is whether there's some what of showing the total count but not on a graph over time. Thanks again!

Yes - was going to mention that ... there is a minor lag between an event being triggered and when it appears in the analytics results.  Simply because we have a separate reporting database and we synch them by interval.

To report on counters, the existing Analytics section will report these over time always.  Even in the Chart section of Manage, most things are tied to time but you can use a data table, embed into a form and then filter as required.  

In this example, I have created a simple event called LEVEL1COMPLETE and then set up a chart as follows:

You can see here that I can see the total count is 17.  Charting it is a different matter though as Bar Charts assume time where as pie charts report everything in percentages.  You could embed the data table into a Dynamic Form as explained here:

https://docs.gamesparks.net/tutorials/custom-analytics-dashboard-tutorial-using-dynamic-forms

Regards,

John.

Also worth looking at this: https://support.gamesparks.net/discussions/topics/1000056915

Cheers, i think dynamic forms are definitely the way to do it - instead of using AnalyticsRequests, i'll just make a new table in the db to store running totals etc, and then query that in a dynamic form.

Login to post a comment