Sign In Register

How can we help you today?

Start a new topic
Answered

Device authentication and app re-install

Hi all,

If an app is using device authentication, and that app is deleted and reinstalled it appears that a new user is created. Does device authentication generate a locally cached token of some kind? If so, it would be great to be able to deterministically regenerate the same token so the user can continue to play after app delete/reinstall. We aren't going to be using registration requests because off the drop off associated with requiring username and password.

Thanks!

- Toby

Best Answer

Hi Oisin,

Thanks for the reply - there was two things going on here. First, apparently with iOS 7+ the device ID will change if you completely uninstall the app (and all apps from a specific vendor).  Secondly, we were setting the GameSparkSettings manually when we change our internal configuration (dev, qa, stage, prod etc) and those changes were not being propogated to the GameSparksSettings.asset. We fixed this by forcing the object to dirty whenever we change config.

Thanks!

- Toby 

Hi Toby,

Actually you should be able to continue with your old account details just from the deviceId, which doesn't change.

What way do you have this configured in Unity?

Thanks,

Oisin.

Answer

Hi Oisin,

Thanks for the reply - there was two things going on here. First, apparently with iOS 7+ the device ID will change if you completely uninstall the app (and all apps from a specific vendor).  Secondly, we were setting the GameSparkSettings manually when we change our internal configuration (dev, qa, stage, prod etc) and those changes were not being propogated to the GameSparksSettings.asset. We fixed this by forcing the object to dirty whenever we change config.

Thanks!

- Toby 

Hi Toby,

Glad to hear it worked out!.

Thanks,

Oisin.

Hi. I am interested to know more for the solution to fix this issue:

apparently with iOS 7+ the device ID will change if you completely uninstall the app (and all apps from a specific vendor)

How to fix the issue so that after I have uninstalled the app in an iOS device and reinstalled it in the same device, I still can retrieve the data I have uploaded before uninstalling the app?

Please help. Thanks.

Login to post a comment