Sign In Register

How can we help you today?

Start a new topic
Answered

GameSpark for RTS

John Pan asks:

Hi, I'm interested in using GameSpark to host games for my RTS. Is this service a suitable one for such a task? I need round trip times to be at most under 300 ms under normal networking conditions and communications will be sent 10 times a second to the server and back for each player. In addition, I need to pass on data in maybe a byte array. Is this possible with GameSpark and how would I do it?

Best Answer

Hi John,

GameSparks is more suited to asynchronous and turn based multiplayer than real time. Our system is based on a Request->Response, you send something up, you get confirmation and act on that data accordingly, you can definitely send 10 or more per second but you don't know for sure if you'll get a positive response that your action was logged/sent. 

You could theoretically create an event that fires off a message to all users in a game together but you'll be adding another component in the chain with a Request->Response->MessageToUser and then those users act on that information.

We'd be a great solution for a game like Civilization and even a solution for managing your game's player base, progression, achievements and even matchmaking, once you match to players using an algorithm in Cloud Code you could send a message to your game engine of choice and use the information (ip addresses) in that message to have two or more players connect to each other with a tcp/upd connection.

If you are using Unity I can personally recommend the built in Unity networking, or Tasharen Networking for something more feature rich.

Shane

Answer

Hi John,

GameSparks is more suited to asynchronous and turn based multiplayer than real time. Our system is based on a Request->Response, you send something up, you get confirmation and act on that data accordingly, you can definitely send 10 or more per second but you don't know for sure if you'll get a positive response that your action was logged/sent. 

You could theoretically create an event that fires off a message to all users in a game together but you'll be adding another component in the chain with a Request->Response->MessageToUser and then those users act on that information.

We'd be a great solution for a game like Civilization and even a solution for managing your game's player base, progression, achievements and even matchmaking, once you match to players using an algorithm in Cloud Code you could send a message to your game engine of choice and use the information (ip addresses) in that message to have two or more players connect to each other with a tcp/upd connection.

If you are using Unity I can personally recommend the built in Unity networking, or Tasharen Networking for something more feature rich.

Shane

Thanks for the information. If I do use Tasharen Networking, can GameSpark host my servers?

That's something we are looking into being able to provide from the portal level very soon.

Shane

any update to this?

Login to post a comment